Magento 2 has become one of the best eCommerce store development platforms in the present times. E-commerce business owners opt for Magento 2 development because of the innumerable benefits it offers over other platforms. While running an online store, you would have hundreds of products lined up in your store. Each product has a different priority and each one is different from the other. That’s when you need to figure out how to index the products based on their priority. The best part of using Magento 2 for your online store is that it indexes the products automatically. When you add products to your Magento store, you will discover that the indexing is done automatically, and the products are lined up easily based on their priority. So, here in this blog, we are discussing the reindex Magento 2 website from two methods.
How to Issue a Reindex in Magento 2 Websites?
Magento 2 indexes the data including products, categories, and more to enhance the performance of your online store. When any change is made to your store, the data has to be updated or reindexed so that the changes are visible on the front end. In Magento app development, reindexing of Magento data is done in two ways:
Method 1: Reindexing Magento 2 Data from Admin Panel/Backend
This method is recommended for most clients. You should opt for Method 2 only if Method fails as this requires SSH access and some expertise with the command line interface.
- Log in to Magento Admin Panel/Backend
- Click System -> Index Management
- On the left side, select any or all categories to reindex. Click Select All to reindex all categories.
- Select Reindex Data from the Actions drop-down list and then click Submit
- This process could take minutes or hours depending on the number of categories, and the amount of data that needs to be reindexed.
- If the reindex fails, move on to Method 2 below.
Method 2: Reindexing Magento 2 Data Using the Command Line Interface
For this method, you’ll require SSH access and familiarity with the CLI. If you’re new to this, it’s always better to hire Magento 2 developers who can help you get the job done in a matter of minutes. Our Magento 2 developers have esteemed years of experience in Magento 2 development and can deal with any issue related to Magento-based websites.
Reindexing using the command line will indicate more descriptive errors. If necessary you may contact our Magento 2 support team for professional help.
- Simply log in to the server using the SSH access credentials provided to you by our Magento 2 support team.
- Navigate to your Magento installation location: /home/demo/demosite.com/html/
- Once you get to access the Magento directory, navigate to the shell directory. The indexing script is stored in [MAGENTO_ROOT]/shell/
- To check the current status of the Magento 2 indexer, enter this command: php indexer.php –status
- To reindex all categories, enter: php indexer.php –reindexall
- To view a list of specific categories for reindexing, process: php indexer.php info
You will find Method 2 of reindexing works faster than other methods including changing the admin settings. Whenever you upgrade the products on your Magento website, it is a good practice to change the indexes too.
If you need any help in reindexing Magento data or any other Magento app development services, you may hire Magento 2 developers at Magento Developer Group. Our Magento experts are ready to help you always.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1. What is reindexing in Magento 2 development?
Magento indexes data such as products and categories to enhance the performance of your Magento storefront. As data changes, the changed data should be updated or reindexed. For example, when you change the price of a product from $40.99 to $35.99, Magento must reindex the price change to display it on the front end. Magento 2 does indexing automatically and this is why Magento app development is gaining more popularity worldwide.
Q.2. How to rebuild indexing in Magento 2?
Follow the above-mentioned steps to rebuild indexing in Magento 2. You may also hire Magento 2 developers from us to help you with reindexing.
Q.3. How do I contact you for Magento 2 support?
If you need help with your Magento website, you may contact us via email, phone call, Skype, or WhatsApp.